Facts about the history of pizza: Pizza is a beloved dish that has been enjoyed for centuries worldwide. It’s a staple food has undergone various transformations, but its history is rooted in Italy. The history of pizza is not just about its delicious taste but also about how it evolved and became a global phenomenon.
Facts about the history of pizza:
In this article, we’ll explore 10 interesting facts about the history of pizza.
- Pizza’s origins go back to Naples, Italy, in the 18th century. It was originally called “Neapolitan pie,” and it was a simple dish made with tomatoes, cheese, and dough.
- In 1889, the first Margherita pizza was created in Naples, Italy. It was made for Queen Margherita of Savoy and was topped with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil. The pizza’s toppings were chosen to represent the colors of the Italian flag.
- The first pizzeria in the United States was Lombardi’s Pizzeria, which opened in New York City in 1905.
- The first frozen pizza was created in 1957 by a company called Celentano Brothers.
- In 1984, the first pizza was delivered to space. It was a pepperoni pizza that was sent to the crew of the Space Shuttle Challenger.
- October is National Pizza Month in the United States, and it was first celebrated in 1987.
- In 2012, the world’s largest pizza ever was made in Rome, Italy. The pizza was 13,580.28 square feet and was made with 19,800 pounds of flour, 8,800 pounds of mozzarella cheese, 10,000 pounds of tomato sauce, and 1,488 pounds of basil.
- “Louis XIII” is the most expensive pizza ever made and its costs $12,000. It is made with rare ingredients like lobster, caviar, and truffles.
- In Japan, mayonnaise and corn are popular pizza toppings, while in Australia, the most popular pizza topping is an egg.
- According to a survey, pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in the United States, followed by sausage, mushroom, and plain cheese.
Pizza has come a long way from its humble origins in Naples, Italy. Today, it’s a popular dish enjoyed worldwide with various toppings and variations. These 10 interesting facts about the history of pizza show how this simple dish has evolved and become a global phenomenon. Now that you know these facts about the history of pizza, you can impress your friends and family with your knowledge the next time you enjoy a delicious slice.
For more interesting facts, visit our website.